I haven’t had a frittata for well over a year, I’m not a big egg eater you see but my family are and I’m on a mission to keep our meals cheap at the moment.
This is a Spanish frittata with a summery salad topping, I’ve given some optional extras depending on how much veg you have in and whether you want to make it vegescarian, meaty or fishy! You’ll need a really good non-stick pan for this dish.
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp coconut oil
- 1 leek or onion or 3-4 spring onions
- 1 pepper, red, green or orange is fine
- 100g chestnut mushrooms
- Handful of peas
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 medium size white potatoes
- 1/2 avocado, scoop lumps with a teaspoon
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Salad leaves – I used lambs lettuce
- 100g diced chorizo
- 50g grated cheese
- 200g shrimp/small prawns
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Finely dice the onion/leek and pepper. Strip the thyme leaves from their stalks. Thinly slice the mushrooms and the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 7 minutes and drain. Leave to cool a little.
- Heat the coconut oil in the pan and add the onion/leeks and cook well for 5 minutes. Then add chorizo or prawns (if using) and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the red peppers, thyme, paprika and mushrooms and allow to cook down. Add the potatoes and season well.
- Turn the oven on to the grill or the oven/grill function at about 180.
- In a bowl, crack two of the eggs. With the other two eggs, separate the whites and the yolks. Add the yolks to the bowl containing the other two cracked eggs and whisk. Then whisk up the separated egg whites well until white and frothy. Pour the egg whites into the egg mix and whisk all together. This will make it lighter and it’ll puff up a bit under the grill.
- Pour the egg mix into the saucepan containing all your lovely veg and leave for a minute to set around the edges. Add the handful of peas.
- Add the grated cheese and place under the grill for 5-7 minutes until brown and crispy on top.
- Remove from the oven and loosen around the edges with a palette knife.
- Shuffle it onto a plate and top with your salad and a spritz of lemon juice.
I served mine with a little chilli sauce mixed into some mayonnaise as a little treat.