Easily the quickest and tastiest chicken curry you can make mid-week. Don’t even bother with a takeaway as this recipe requires few fresh ingredients and mostly store cupboard staples….
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- large pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder or fresh green chilli
- 500g chicken breast sliced or diced into bite size pieces
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek seeds, or 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 100 g plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Chapatis or Rotis
- onion, tomato and coriander salad
In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade, adding the chicken. Mix the marinade with the meat until it is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 and hour.
To start the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions for 5-7 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
Add the turmeric, cumin, salt and fenugreek. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Tip in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion mixture becomes thick.
Stir in the butter, then the chicken and marinade, and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.